Maturing IoT elements are transforming FSM applications. Application leaders supporting field service should study this report to learn how to adjust their business model, technology and operational approaches in order to derive cost and customer experience benefits from the IoT.
Impacts and Recommendations
- As customers expect tighter SLAs and push operations and maintenance responsibility onto field service providers, application leaders need to focus on O&M efficiency
- Internet of Things devices are a new form of "customer" that communicates different information over different channels, and thus requires different handling by application leaders
- The high cost of retrofitting new sensors to aging equipment is pressuring FSOs to shorten product replacement life cycles instead
- Remote access to, or the sharing of, equipment telemetry needs careful handling by application leaders, as customers may perceive data privacy, data ownership, compliance or security risks
- The use of data and connectivity to troubleshoot equipment remotely requires careful handling, as employees may view this practice as a threat to their job security
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.