For organizations that are not ready to migrate to Microsoft SharePoint Online with Office 365, migrating to on-premises SharePoint Server 2016 remains viable. Application leaders must enforce governance and select the right approach to optimize their migration efforts.
- Select a SharePoint Server 2016 Migration Approach and Optimize Effort
- Option A: Microsoft's Database Attach Upgrade
- Option B: SharePoint ISV Solution or System Integrator
- Option C: Rearview Mirror Approach
- Direct 80% of Migration Process Effort Toward Governance
- Verify That Overall Migration Effort Is Comprehensive, Including Infrastructure Dependencies and Downstream Costs
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.