Migrating email to Exchange Online means recreating an ecosystem of communication, clients, archiving and security solutions — a sometimes difficult process. Technical professionals can use this guidance document to avoid common mistakes when implementing Exchange Online within Office 365.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Prework Step 1: Determine the Current State of Email
- Prework Step 2: Analyze the Business Case for Exchange Online
- Migration Methodology
- Exchange Online Limitations
- Exchange Online Migration Throttling
- Multi-Geo Support
- Tenant-to-Tenant Mailbox Migration
- Implementing Hybrid With Exchange Online
- What Does Not Work With a Hybrid Implementation
- Additional Hybrid Email Routing Options
- Exchange Admin Center and Managing Hybrid
- Remote Windows PowerShell for Exchange Online
- Microsoft Office 365 Portal
- Microsoft Office 365 Admin Center
- Malware Protection
- Data Loss Prevention
- Suspicious Activity Detection
- SMTP Limits
- Outlook Client Plug-Ins
- Exchange Online Unified Messaging
- Email Archiving
- Retention Policies and Holds
- Mailbox Storage
- Deleted Items Folder Retention Period
- Inactive Mailboxes
- Archive Migration
- Email Desktop Clients
- Mobile Clients
- Mobile Management
- Exit Strategy
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.