The scale and diversity of IoT technology pose a sizable security challenge. Strong practices and architecture, focusing on the IoT edge in particular, are critical to managing digital business risk. This document is a primer for technical professionals who are new to building IoT or IoT security.
- The State of Security in Internet of Things Solutions
- Summary of IoT Exposures and Security Measures
- IoT Builder and IoT Buyer Perspectives
- Trust and Resilience by Design for the IoT
- Creating Trust and Resilience Through Privacy, Safety and Reliability Design
- Adding Privacy, Safety and Reliability by Design to IoT Initiatives
- Incorporating Security Into IoT Architecture
- Identifying IoT Security Exposures
- Protecting the Edge
- Protecting the Platform
- Protecting the Enterprise
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.