The modern management capabilities in Windows 10 present a paradigm shift for organizations that rely on client management tools to manage PCs. I&O leaders managing Windows PCs should extend the use of EMM tools to manage Windows 10 PCs as they mature into UEM suites.
Impacts and Recommendations
- Windows 10's Modern Management Capabilities Allow a Lighter-Touch Approach to Device Enrollment Using EMM Tools
- Windows AutoPilot
- Dynamic/Runtime Provisioning
- Managing Windows 10 PCs Using EMM Tools Requires Switching From Group Policy Objects to MDM Policies
- Windows 10 App Management Using Native EMM Capabilities Is Limited to Only Single-File MSIs and Modern Apps
- Store Apps and Private Enterprise-Signed Apps
- Windows Desktop Bridge
- Volume Licensing
- App Whitelisting Methods
- EMM Controls in Windows 10 Allow I&O Leaders to Manage the Rapid Cadence of Windows 10 Updates
- Delivery Optimization Using Peer-to-Peer Distribution of Updates
- Advantage of EMM Over CMT for Windows OS Patching
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.