Without developing existing talent currently trapped in silos of I&O expertise, I&O leaders face the very real threat of being unable to deliver hybrid infrastructure at the pace demanded by digital business. This research highlights three evolutionary strategies for success.
- Focus on Developing Staff Versatility, Complementing Siloed Expertise With the Capabilities Needed to Deliver Hybrid Infrastructure Environments
- Hybrid Infrastructure Demands New Levels of Versatility
- Versatility Must Be Complemented by Adaptability
- Actively Develop Staff, Prioritizing Attributes Such as Collaborative Capabilities, Social Skills, Leadership Potential and Lateral Thinking
- Start by Picking the Right People
- Identify Low-Cost, Practical Opportunities to Develop Versatile Knowledge and Skills
- Adjust the Balance of Performance Management
- Shift Line Management From Auditing Existing Silos Toward Coaching and Mentoring Around Hybrid Opportunities and New Expected Behaviors
- Develop a Leadership Communications Strategy
- Reward Innovation, Collaboration, Social Skills, Leadership and Lateral Thinking, and Showcase Examples of Success
- Introduce Feedback Loops That Enable Staff to Contribute to Talent Development
- Behavior Becomes Culture
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.