Gartner publishes comprehensive market trends, market share and forecast statistics by major software markets and subsegments. Read this report to gain a better understanding of our terminology and definitions.
What You Need to Know
- Reporting End-User Spending
- Forecast Methodology
- Forecast Methodology Overview
- Forecast Process
- Forecast Assumptions
- Market Share and Market Sizing Methodology
- Market Share Research Process
- Vendor Revenue Profile
- Gartner's Software Market Share
- Software Licenses and Software Revenue Recognition
- Abstract Components Versus Real-World Complexity
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Understanding Components of Recognized Revenue
- Compound Annual Growth Rate
- Vendor Total Software Revenue
- End-User Spending
- Exchange Rates
High-Level Definitions and Segmentation
- Enterprise Application Software Definitions
- Analytics and Business Intelligence
- Customer Relationship Management
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Content Services
- Office Suites
- Project and Portfolio Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Collaboration Services
- Other Application Software
- Infrastructure Software Definitions
- Application Development
- Application Infrastructure and Middleware
- Data Management
- IT Operations Management Software
- Operating Systems
- Security Software
- Storage Management Software
- Virtualization Software
- Other Infrastructure Software
- Emerging Software and Market Trends
- Application Service Providers and Application Hosting
- Business Activity Monitoring
- Metadata and Data Modeling Tools
- Mobile and Wireless Packaged Application Software
- Mobile and Wireless Infrastructure Software Platforms
- Open-Source Software
- Order Management
- Platform as a Service
- Software as a Service
- Software Solution Markets
- Web Analytics
- Web Services Software
- Worldwide Geographic Regional Definitions
- Emerging Asia/Pacific Region
- Mature Asia/Pacific Region
- Greater China
- Western Europe Region
- Eastern Europe Region
- Latin America Region
- Middle East and North Africa Region
- Sub-Saharan Africa Region
- North America Region
- Channel Definitions
- Direct Channel
- Indirect Channel
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.