This research provides technical professionals with architectural guidance and best practices for deploying traditional on-premises workloads into Microsoft Azure, with the goal of maximizing overall availability.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Prework: Understanding Microsoft Azure
- Reviewing the Historical Availability of Azure Virtual Machines
- Understanding Microsoft Azure Primitives and Technical/Contractual Performance Characteristics
- Understanding Delineation of Responsibilities Within Microsoft Azure IaaS
- Framework Component 1: Assessing an Application's Architecture
- Framework Component 2: Designing High Availability for Persistence-Tier Systems
- 2.1 Implementing Persistence-Tier High Availability With RDBMS Software Installed in Azure Virtual Machines Instances
- 2.2 Implementing Persistence-Tier High Availability With Microsoft Azure SQL Database
- Framework Component 3: Designing High Availability for Business-Logic-Tier Systems
- 3.1 Implementing High Availability for Stateful Application Servers
- 3.2 Implementing High Availability for Stateless Application Servers
- Framework Component 4: Designing High Availability for Presentation-Tier Systems
- 4.1 Implementing High Availability for Stateless Presentation-Tier Servers
- 4.2 Implementing High Availability for Stateful Presentation-Tier Servers
- 4.3 Using Azure Content Delivery Network for Caching, as Appropriate (Optional Presentation-Tier Availability Strategy)
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.