Migrating AIX, HP-UX and Solaris systems to Linux can improve agility and lower cost. However, moving complex, mission-critical workloads can involve unforeseen risks and expenses. I&O leaders replacing UNIX with Linux should follow these steps to ensure a successful migration.
- Model Costs to Determine When to Invest in a Migration
- Avoid the TCO Trap and Focus on ROI
- Thoroughly Inventory UNIX Dependencies, and Map to Their Future State
- Determine the Need for Outside Help
- Choose Migration Tools and a Linux Distribution
- Map Staff to Their Future Roles
- Allow for Sufficient Time
- No Big Bang Required
- Communicate Operational Changes During the Migration
- Assume the Worst
- Don't Surprise Stakeholders
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.