Technology is set to unleash another wave of disruption on marketing. Marketing leaders need a consistent, structured approach to evaluate its impacts. In this research, we develop a framework and apply it to 12 key future marketing trends.
- Market Context
- Make Time for Strategy
- Rediscover the Marketing Mix
- From Promotion to Engagement
- Theme 1: Conversational Agents Will Mediate Transactions
- Theme 2: Atomic Content Will Make Marketing More Adaptive
- Theme 3: Programmatic Placement Will Put Brands Everywhere
- From List Price to This Price
- Theme 4: Shopper Bots Will Find the Best Bargains
- Theme 5: Real-Time Pricing Will Bring AI and Advanced Analytics to the Masses
- Theme 6: Smart Contracts Will Create New Virtual Marketplaces
- From Brands to Platforms
- Theme 7: Platform Loyalty Will Challenge Brands for Consumer Allegiance
- Theme 8: Privacy-Friendly Data Exchange Will Augment the Flow of Data
- Theme 9: Decentralized Apps Will Open Up App Markets While Preserving Security
- From Products to Experiences
- Theme 10: The Sharing Economy Will Disrupt Our Notion of Sales and Ownership
- Theme 11: Digital Products and the IoT Will Explode the Number of Digital Touchpoints
- Theme 12: Product Concept Optimization Will Create More Diverse, Dynamic Markets
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.