Asset-intensive industry CEOs suffer from stagnant thinking about change and digital opportunities. They underestimate the value in IT and digital, and do not see underperforming technology as an impediment to growth. But CIOs can exploit the perceived value in IoT and engineering technology.
Impacts and Recommendations
- Change Is Slow in Asset-Intensive Industries, So CEOs Often Don't See the Need to Change
- CEOs in Asset-Intensive Industries Emphasized IT Less, Which Undermines Competitiveness
- Outdated Thinking About Digital Means That CEOs Underplay the Economic Value of Investments
- CFOs Have Strong Influence, and May Cause Companies to Miss Key Technology Ideas
- Bright Spots Exist in CEOs' Appreciation of IoT and Engineering Skills, Which Can Be Exploited and Expanded On
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.