Organizational and process pitfalls in data science and machine learning projects could inadvertently derail success and destroy organizationwide confidence in these techniques. Data and analytics leaders should use this checklist to avoid six planning pitfalls for those projects.
Six Pitfalls to Avoid When Planning Data Science and Machine Learning Projects
- Key Challenges
- Evaluate How DSML and AI Fit Into Your Organization
- Pitfall 1. Misjudging the Business Value
- Pitfall 2. Rushing to Kick Off Without Defined Plans and Processes
- Pitfall 3. Lack of Security and Privacy Awareness
- Build Use Cases by Linking Business Understanding and Quality Data to Specific Business Benefits
- Pitfall 4. Data Scientists Lacking Significant Credibility With the Business
- Pitfall 5. Benchmarking With Poorly Defined Metrics
- Pitfall 6. Underestimating the Importance of Data Management
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.