Transforming to digital business requires CIOs, IT teams and the business to partner. Instead of just aligning with the business, leading CIOs go further. They proactively and continuously engage with their business peers. This proactive engagement not only closes the proverbial IT and business divide, but also builds trust and partnerships that deliver desired business outcomes and enables CIOs to transcend the current business strategy.
- Key Question
- Opportunities and Challenges
- How This Report Will Help
- Digital Increases the Need for Strategic Engagement
- What Is Strategic Engagement?
- Gartner Framework for Understanding IT and Business Engagement
- Why Strategic Engagement Is Important
Digital Increases the Need for Strategic Engagement
- I&T Form the Core of Digital Business
- Digital Changes the Role of the CIO and I&T
- Caution: Alignment Is Not Strategic Engagement
- Continuous Engagement Is Key to Shift From Technology Provider to Business Peer
What Is Strategic Engagement?
- Strategic Engagement, Defined
Gartner Framework for Understanding IT and Business Engagement
- Business Strategy Sets Baseline Expectations for I&T Value
- Expectations Drive the IT and Business Engagement Model
- Relationship Dynamics Are Implied, Not Defined, by the Engagement Model Pledge
- Strategic Engagement Is Independent of the Engagement Model
- Shifting Engagement Models
- Trust Is Key, but Contextual
- CIOs Can Exceed Expectations to Shift the Context
- Doing the Basics Right Is a Prerequisite
- Maturity of the IT Organization Underpins Peer-Peer Relationships
Why Strategic Engagement Is Important
- Strategic Engagement Produces Desired Outcomes
- Strategic Engagement Opens the Door to Influence Strategy
- Strategic Engagement Is Key for Developing Digital Offerings
- Strategic Engagement Is a Team Sport
- Strategic Engagement Expands Career Opportunities
- Summary and Recommendations
Appendix: Case Studies
- Strategic Engagement Drives Results for ADP
- American AgCredit Transforms to Boost Business Results
- FactSet Embraces Transformation to Scale for Growth
- Farmers Insurance CIO Strategically Teams With Business for Competitive Edge
- First American Financial Integrates IT and Business Operations and Improves Customer Experience
- ScottsMiracle-Gro CIO Nurtures Strategic Alliances to Help Grow the Business
- Solenis CIO and CMO Partner to Drive Digital Business Transformation
- Related Content
- Gartner Executive Programs Reports
- Core Research
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.