Application leaders implementing a Pace-Layered Application Strategy need to differentiate governance by layer to fund the most important application work for the enterprise. IT's role is to facilitate the process and draw in the right business decision makers for each segment of the portfolio.
- Segment the Portfolio by Rate of Change and Strategic Goals
- Separate Work on Differentiating Applications and Create an Agile-/Product-Based Governance and Delivery Process
- Convert Systems of Record Governance Processes to Agile
- Free Up Money for Systems of Differentiation
- Create a Venture-Capital-Like Fund for Systems of Innovation
- Move Applications and Business Capabilities Between Levels as Business Conditions Change
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.