Locating, exporting and deleting personal data in content and collaboration systems and on mobile devices is especially challenging due to their free-form formats. Technical professionals must know the GDPR options for CCM systems to help ensure that the company adheres to the regulation.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Step 1: Meet With Legal, the DPO and the Business Unit
- Step 2: Examine Data Collection, Categorization and Storage
- Step 3: Perform Governance Update, and Create Review Process
- Step 4: Create Gap Analysis
- GDPR Principles
- Common Issues
- Rights of the Data Subject
- Controller Duties
- Processor Duties
- Step 5: Update Identity and Access Management Services
- Employee Identity and Access Management
- Customer Identity and Access Management
- Step 6: Protect Personal Data in the Contextual Fabric
- Step 7: Address Cloud Service Issues
- Track Down All Cloud Services Being Used
- Get Certifications and Assurances From the Cloud Vendor
- Demand Documentation of a Cloud Vendor's Processes and Subcontractors
- Understand Where Personal Data Is Stored
- Understand How Data Is Deleted
- Verify That You Can Export Data
- Step 8: Revise Unified Endpoint Management Profiles and Policies
- Impact on "Bring Your Own" Policies
- Determine Which UEM Policies Need to Be Changed
Risks and Pitfalls
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.