SaaS CRM applications enable business agility, but continuous vendor updates require technical agility for stability and availability. Technical professionals responsible for CX and CRM implementations can use this research to develop successful risk assessment, test and deployment processes.
The Gartner Approach
- Managing SaaS CRM Upgrades: Guidance Framework
The Guidance Framework
- Step 1: Complete a SaaS CRM/CX Application Portfolio Discovery Exercise
- Identify CRM Users and Use Cases in Your Organization
- Work With Business Leaders/Users to Understand and Quantify the Business Priorities
- Diagram Your CRM/CX Integration Architecture to Identify Interdependencies
- Step 2: Develop a Risk Profile and Scorecard
- Identify Risk Factors Unique to Your Organization
- Quantify and Weigh Risk Factors From the SaaS CRM Inventory List
- Step 3: Map Vendor Release Cadence and Policy
- Document the Scheduled Release Cadence for Your SaaS CRM Products
- Build a Change Management Process for Unplanned Maintenance and Security Releases
- Step 4: Testing Vendor-Introduced Changes
- Develop Test Automation Skills
- Identify Test Environment Options
- Validating Integrations With Other CRM Applications
- Document Testing Options and Their Applicability for Testing Different Upgrade Types
Risks and Pitfalls
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.