5G technology will be a key enabler for user infotainment and non-mission-critical elements of autonomous vehicle design. To gain traction with AV OEMs, 5G CSP technology strategic planners must leverage operational scale and network capabilities to address AV data and safety challenges.
- What Is the Opportunity for 5G Networks in the AV Industry?
- Current Status of 5G Network and AV Development
- First Wave of 5G-Enabled AVs and Applications Will Be Concentrated in Leading Automotive Markets
- Gradual Commercial Introduction of AV Creates Opportunity for 5G
- Extraordinary AV Data Demands Require 5G CSPs to Tailor Dynamic Data Provisioning Services for OEMs
- AV Safety Performance Raises Scrutiny and Need for More Robust Systems
- Schedule for Standards Development, Ratification and Testing Pushes AV Deployment of 5G V2X to 2022 and 2023
- Shifting Regulatory Mandates, Extensive Testing Requirements and Development Hurdles Delay Potential Impact for 5GNR as a Possible C-V2X Solution
- The 5G Network's Ultrareliable Low-Latency Communications Capabilities Will Enhance Reliable Remote Control of 5G-Enabled AVs
Background and Context
- Carving Out Opportunity for 5G Operators in AVs
- The Expected Deluge of Vehicle Data Is the Primary OEM Problem 5G Can Uniquely Address
- CSPs Need to Heavily Leverage the 5G Network's Opex Efficiencies to Offer Profitable Data Pricing for AV OEMs
- Bridge Local Government Needs With National Influence for C-V2X
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.