AI adds tremendous value to IoT, but it is still a long way from having a technical, legal, economic and political environment to dramatically impact smart city IoT use cases. Government CIOs developing smart city strategies should exploit AI progressively to balance benefits and risks.
Three Rules When Using AI to Add Value to Your IoT Smart Cities
- Key Challenges
- Rule 1: Manage and Exploit Over Time
- Prioritize on High-Value IoT Use Cases for Both Governments and Citizens
- Establish the Starting Point Based on AI Technology Maturity
- Rule 2: Look Beyond Technology
- Ally AI Deployment to Drive IoT Productivity in Solving Government/City Challenges
- Manage AI Implementations Across Government Organizational Boundaries for Maximum Results
- Rule 3: Build a Positive First Experience
- Set Realistic Expectations on AI With Municipal and Departmental Leaders
- Manage Risks of AI Technology Immaturity and IoT Data Sensitivity
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.