This document instructs technology business unit leaders at technology providers to make and update three related estimates of technology opportunity. This document is part one of a series focusing on the what, why and how of technology opportunity estimation.
- Estimate Market Opportunity for Yourself to Gain Deeper Insights to the Dynamics of Disruptive Emerging Technologies
- Make Three Estimates of Market Opportunity Using Concepts and Terms That Convey the Relationships Between Market Opportunities
- First: Estimate Total Potential Opportunity
- Second: Estimate Segment Potential Opportunity
- Third: Estimate Segment Saleable Opportunity
- Update This Set of Market Opportunity Estimates Periodically, and Use Them to Involve Business Leaders and Business Partners
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.