DevOps helps development teams increase the value, quality and frequency of application updates. Technical professionals in application development and operations engineering roles must extend agile practices to deployment, environment configuration, monitoring and maintenance tasks to adopt DevOps.
- Defining DevOps
- Repairing the Cultural Schism
- Overcome the Organizational and Cultural Challenges
- Perfecting DevOps Practices
- Automate Everything
- Implement Comprehensive Configuration Management
- Use Production Toolchains for Development
- Incorporate Application Security Testing (AST)
- Treat Monitoring as a Testing Tool
- Drive Continuous Improvement
- Adopting DevOps in a Less-Than-Agile Environment
- Identify Candidate Applications
- Evaluate the Benefits of a DevOps Strategy for Your Team
- Integrate Operations Staff Into Agile Cross-Functional Teams
- Leverage Communities of Practice for Knowledge Sharing
- Address Nonfunctional Requirements as Part of the Development Process
- Evaluate Security Needs and Implement if Required
- Place Configurations Under Version Control
- Provide Self-Service Provisioning Solutions
- Automate Whenever Possible
- Enforce Development Toolchain Parity With Production
- Monitor Everything
- Reassess the Role of Change Management
- Sample Set of DevOps Tools
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.