Internet of Things not only will substantially increase the number of potential customer interaction points, but also will enable enterprise architecture and technology innovation leaders to create new opportunities for digital business innovation based on purpose-built IoT devices.
- Identify New Customer Interaction Opportunities Enabled by IoT Devices by Bringing Together Teams of Technologists and Business Staff to Conduct Ideation Exercises
- Conduct Ideation Exercises With Business Peers to Both Educate Them and Identify New Opportunities
- Identify Potential Partners That Own Access to Relevant Devices
- Identify New Opportunities Unlocked by Analytics
- Identify Both Threats and Opportunities: Which New IoT Devices and Interactions Might Damage Your Business?
- Prioritize New Opportunities Enabled by IoT, and Create a Plan to Exploit Them, Acquiring New Skills and Partners Where Necessary
- Prioritize Opportunities Based on Business Feasibility and Potential
- Identify Skills Gaps and Potential Partners to Fill Them
- Create a Robust Digital Ethics Policy, and Conduct a Detailed Ethical Review Before Implementation
- Create New Services and Revenue Sources by Developing Prototypes of New Purpose-Built IoT Devices
- Monitor IoT Technologies and Innovators to Identify Opportunities Enabled by Either Technology or Cost Trends
- Identify Low-Cost Opportunities to Convert Passive Products Into Active Relationships That Deliver New Forms of Value
- Buy or Develop Prototypes to Evaluate New Device Opportunities
- Identify Potential Techquisitions
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.