Enterprise architecture and technology innovation leaders must create roadmaps that inform better decisions across business and IT. These roadmaps must be tailored to the audience and have the right focus, scope, granularity and planning horizon to enable better business outcomes.
- Determine Areas of Concentration to Improve Fit-for-Purpose
- Use Strategic Planning Roadmaps to Explain and Direct Business Strategy
- Use Strategic Execution Roadmaps to Detail the Execution of Business Strategy
- Use Operational Planning Roadmaps to Coordinate the Execution of Business Strategy
- Use Operational Execution Roadmaps to Align Current Priorities With Business Strategy
- Leverage Roadmap Styles to Improve Roadmap Usefulness and Usability
- Use Roadmapping Tools to Combine and Drill Across Styles
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.