Apple Business Chat adds direct-to-brand messaging into the messages app on iOS with integrations to the larger Apple ecosystem. Technology product management leaders at messaging and communication platform vendors must consider integrating with this late, powerful entrant into business messaging.
- Reasons Why Apple Business Chat Is Important
- The So What: Native Apps as Messaging Mediators Reduce Friction and Pave the Way for Wider Chatbot Use
- The What: Facebook, WeChat and Twitter Now Face Some Real Competition for Direct Brand Messaging
- The Who: Reaching a Critical Mass of Users and Brands Will Require Commitment
- What This Means for Communication and Commerce Product Managers
Impacts and Recommendations
- Apple Facilitates Richer Brand Experiences Across the Customer Life Cycle via Messaging
- Market and Competition
- Apple Supports Deeper Brand Integration Into the Customer Journey Life Cycle
- Apple Business Chat Will Trigger the Next Level of Adoption of Asynchronous Messaging in Customer Engagement
- In the Short Term, Apple Gains a Small Foothold in Messaging Commerce
- Apple Stimulates the Conversational Ecosystem but Fails to Cement an AI Power Play as Aggregator
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.