Modern application architectures use service-oriented principles to deliver new functionality via APIs and refactor existing applications. Technical professionals responsible for designing APIs and services must select the best architecture for each using critical nonfunctional criteria.
Decision Point Question
Principles, Requirements and Constraints
- Requirements and Constraints
- Accessing Existing Data Assets
- Accessing Existing Application Assets
- Supporting Asynchronous Messaging Patterns
- Implementing Complex Services
- Processing Unbounded Streams of Data and Events
- Modernizing Application Infrastructure
- Supporting Delivery Agility
- Enabling Service Implementation Productivity
- Dynamic Scalability and Provisioning to Handle Volatile Workloads
- Data Services Architecture
- When to Use a Data Services Architecture
- Services Integration Architecture
- When to Use a Services Integration Architecture
- Streaming Architecture
- When to Use a Streaming Architecture
- Coarse-Grained Services Architecture
- When to Use a Coarse-Grained Services Architecture
- Microservices Architecture
- When to Use a Microservices Architecture
- Serverless Architecture
- When to Use a Serverless Architecture
- Event-Driven Architectures
- Internet of Things Solutions
- Continued Evolution of PaaS and Container-Based Tools
- Digital Business Drives Microservices, Containers and aPaaS
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.