To successfully fund innovation and digital business initiatives, CIOs should partner with CFOs to optimize enterprise IT and business costs. CIOs must first demonstrate they have effectively managed IT costs, and then partner with CFOs to leverage technology to optimize cost across the enterprise.
- Build Credibility by Running IT Like a Business Within a Business
- Step 1: Optimize the Supply Side of the IT Budget
- Step 2: Provide Visibility to Stakeholders to Optimize Demand
- Leverage That Credibility to Partner With the CFO in Optimizing Beyond the IT Budget
- Step 3: Work With the CFO to Optimize Enterprisewide IT Spending
- Step 4: Leverage Technology Across the Enterprise to Optimize Business Cost
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.