Connecting clouds is vital for organizations because data and applications increasingly reside in a mesh of public cloud services, private clouds and data centers. Technical professionals must design a cohesive multicloud network architecture to adapt to the demands imposed by digital business.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Determine Where Your Users and Application Components Are to Understand Latency Effects
- Establish the Role and Responsibilities of the NetOps Team
- Understand Data Transfer Costs
- Navigating the Architecture Domains Components
- Domain 1: The Cloud Provider Network Edge
- Design VNet/VPC Edge Complex
- Leverage the Cloud Provider for Interregion Connectivity
- Guidance for Domain 1
- Domain 2: The Customer Cloud Network Edge
- Architect Your Multicloud Topology
- Select an Interconnect Connectivity Design
- Guidance for Domain 2
- Domain 3: Network Services
- Understand Your Cloud Service Delivery Options
- Decide Where to Run Network Services
- Guidance for Domain 3
Risks and Pitfalls
- Planning Too Far Ahead
- Failing to Implement Effective and Consistent Network Policy and Governance
- Relying on Existing Network Vendors to Develop Your Cloud Network Architecture
- Related Guidance
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.