Published: 22 June 2018
Analyst(s): PMO Research Team
In response to core features of digital transformation, such as product lines and iterative methodology, PMO leaders must redesign project manager roles, adapting them for the new context of solutions delivery in today’s digital business.
The PMO in the New Talent Landscape
The Impact of Changing Methodology and Increased Complexity on Project Managers
1. Governance and reporting expectations distract delivery teams from their core responsibility.
2. Increasing cross-team and cross-silo coordination frustrate delivery teams’ efforts.
3. The inputs necessary to effectively prioritize development are distributed throughout the organization.
Emerging Roles for Project Managers
1. The protector project manager enables Scrum teams to focus on development by removing distractions.
2. The connector program manager orchestrates workflows across teams and complex portfolios.
3. The navigator synthesizes and interprets disparate sources of data to aid development prioritization.
Choosing the Right Role for Your Organization
The Impact of New Roles on Traditional Project Manager Career Pathing
Recommended by the Authors
About This Research
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.