The AIM software market grew 12.2% in 2017 to $28.4 billion, confirming its status as the third largest enterprise software segment and one of the most dynamic. Technology product marketers must focus on hybrid environments as they become the de facto standard driven by cloud-native providers.
Market Share Data
Overall Market Segment Performance Analysis
- Growth Accelerates: Growth Rate 50% Higher Than in Previous Year and Back in Double Digits
- Disrupting Drivers: Cloud, Digital, Open Source and China
- More Deals, but With a Smaller Average Size
Top Vendors Analyzed
- IBM — Traditional Software Perception Undermines Cloud Aspirations
- Oracle — Market-Leading Execution in iPaaS
- Salesforce — Consolidating as a Platform Middleware Giant
- Microsoft — The Middleware "Stealth Gorilla" Pushing PaaS
- Amazon — Shaking and Reshaping the Leadership Table
- TIBCO Software — Still in the Midst of Transition
- Software AG — Capitalizing on "Industrie 4.0"
- Red Hat — Open Source in Middleware Drives Growth
- SAP — Nurturing the Large Installed Base
- OpenText — Growth in AIM by Acquisitions
Other Notable Vendors
- Dell Boomi
- Chinese Providers: Alibaba, Tencent, Huawei and Baidu
- Open-Source Offerings
Mergers and Acquisitions
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.