The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Step 1: Define Users
- Use Personas to Define Users
- Use Scenarios to Provide Context
- Developing Personas and Scenarios
- Step 2: Design Multichannel Workflows
- Weave Workflows Into the Web App Design
- Consider Discovery for External Apps
- Consider Navigation
- Account for Device Restrictions
- Step 3: Use an Adaptive Web Design
- Adaptive Web Server
- Browser-Based Responsive Design
- Build Modular Apps
- Step 4: Create the Appropriate Device Experience
- Accentuate the Strengths of the Platform
- Ensure the UI Loads Fast
- Create a Mobile Feel on Mobile Devices
- Apply a Progressive Web App Approach for Optimal Experience
- Step 5: Test the Web UX Across All Channels
- Test the Web UX on Physical Devices
- Use Automated Techniques to Test the Responsive Design
- Step 6: Use Analytics to Improve the UX
- Define Analytics Goals Before Identifying Metrics
- Use Specific Questions to Identify Metrics
Risks and Pitfalls
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.