Threat-facing technologies aim to prevent and protect IT systems and applications from attack, enabling fast and effective response. Technologies included meet the security needs of end users who utilize cloud and enterprise infrastructure that is threatened by the evolving threat landscape.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Breach and Attack Simulation
- Managed Detection and Response
- Browser Isolation
- Deception Platforms
- Security Orchestration, Automation and Response (SOAR)
- At the Peak
- Firewall as a Service
- Data Classification
- File Analysis
- Hardware-Based Security
- Format-Preserving Encryption
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Network Traffic Analysis
- Threat Intelligence Platforms
- TLS Decryption Platform
- Network Security Policy Management
- User and Entity Behavior Analytics
- Endpoint Detection and Response
- Operational Technology Security
- Enterprise Key Management
- Secure Web Gateways
- Software-Defined Security
- Climbing the Slope
- Enterprise Firewalls (Next-Generation Firewalls)
- Microsegmentation (Software-Defined Segmentation)
- Network Sandboxing
- DDoS Defense
- Network Access Control
- Web Application Firewalls
- Database Audit and Protection
- Self-Encrypting Mass Storage Drives
- Entering the Plateau
- Database Encryption
- Endpoint Protection Platforms
- Network Penetration Testing Tools
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Application Control
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.