Supply chain leaders must use caution when using metrics. Metrics used incorrectly or within an immature S&OP process can hurt the reputation of the supply chain. Supply chain leaders should use this research to establish metrics that drive the right behavior.
- Identify and Communicate Potential Unintended Consequences in an S&OP Process
- Unintended Consequence 1: Managing the Metric Versus Managing the Outcome
- Unintended Consequence 2: Reacting to Point Changes Versus Examining Patterns
- Unintended Consequence 3: Beating Your Goal as a Bad Thing
- Unintended Consequence 4: Avoiding Discussion About the Gap but Not Removing the Issue
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.