Organizations are struggling to define their strategy for leveraging and implementing IoT. This research provides technical professionals with a reference architecture for IoT, while identifying planning and technical issues that implementers must address.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Prework: Sharpen Delivery Objectives
- Apply Collect, Decide and Act Model
- Understand IoT Architecture
- Decision Gravity Will Be Your Guide
- Part 1: Edge
- IoT Endpoint Reference Architecture
- How Can This IoT Endpoint Model Be Applied to IoT Gateways?
- IoT Endpoint and Edge Compute
- Additional Approaches
- How Much Computational Capability Does an IoT Endpoint Require?
- How Do We Use the IoT Endpoint to Model the Edge?
- Your Edge May Already Exist
- IoT Endpoint Security
- Planning and Design of the IoT Edge
- Part 2: Platform
- IoT Platform Reference Architecture
- Data and Process Integration Layer
- Application Enablement Layer
- Platform Management Layer
- Develop Centrally; Execute Every Place
- Navigating the Range of Platform Deployment Options
- IoT as a Unifying Platform
- Gateways Versus Platforms
- IoT Platform Security
- Planning and Design of the IoT Platform
- Part 3: Enterprise
- Understand The Scope of Enterprise Applications and Data Integrations
- Understand the Technical Impacts IoT Has on Enterprise Applications
- IoT Enterprise Security
- Planning and Design in the Enterprise
Risks and Pitfalls
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.