IoT demands a technical strategy that enables organizations to rapidly implement IoT solutions. Technical professionals can use the steps in this research to create long-term, sustainable adoption strategies, develop their target architecture and execute on multiple IoT opportunities.
Solution Path Diagram
- Step 1: Identify Team, Skills and Engagement Plan
- Step 1.1: Identify an IoT Architect
- Step 1.2: Build a COE Team
- Step 1.3: Engage Business, Operational Technology and Other Stakeholders
- Step 1.4: Open an IoT Lab
- Step 1.5: Track Risk and Security Issues
- Step 2: Define Target Architecture
- Step 2.1: Edge Architecture
- Step 2.2: Platform Architecture
- Step 2.3: Integration Strategy
- Step 2.4: Analytics Strategy
- Step 2.5: Technology Inventory
- Step 3: Delivery Process Governance
- Step 3.1: Clarify Success Factors
- Step 3.2: Assure Engagement
- Step 3.3: Review Risk and Security
- Step 3.4: Prove It Will Work
- Step 3.5: Model Project Costs
- Step 4: Deliver Solutions
- Step 4.1: Delivery Process
- Step 4.2: Device Fabrication
- Step 4.3: Provider Evaluation
- Step 4.4: Testing
- Step 5: Operate, Manage and Improve
- Step 5.1: Service Quality
- Step 5.2: Continuous Improvement
- Step 5.3: Operations Automation
- Step 5.4: Monitoring
- Step 5.5: Maintenance
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.