Digital continues to drive business innovation. As historic technologies mature, exciting new technologies with the power to transform the future are emerging at an unprecedented pace. CIOs can use this Hype Cycle to learn what is new for the 37 most important innovation profiles for the industry.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Artificial General Intelligence
- Intelligent Automation for Application Managed Services
- Blockchain in Oil and Gas
- 3D Printing in Oil and Gas
- Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality in Oil and Gas
- Cloud HPC for Upstream Modeling
- At the Peak
- Conversational User Interfaces
- Remote Operations
- Digital Twin
- Edge Computing
- Prescriptive Analytics
- Predictive Analytics and Postmodern ERP
- Machine Learning
- Robotic Process Automation Software
- Integrated Planning and Operations
- Internet of Things in Oil and Gas
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Data Lakes
- API Economy
- Integrated 3D Asset Visualization
- Predictive Analytics
- Field Mobility
- Upstream Modeling Suites
- Integrated Upstream Asset Modeling
- Portfolio Management Solutions
- IT/OT Alignment
- Operational Technology Security
- Sensor Fusion
- Asset Performance Management
- Cloud-Based Engineering Information Management
- Climbing the Slope
- Real-Time Drilling and Completion
- Production Surveillance Systems
- Hydrocarbon Accounting Platforms
- Internal APIs
- Operational Technology Platform Convergence
- Petroleum Economic Solutions
- Autonomous Field Vehicles
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.