DevOps practices challenge infrastructure and operations professionals to re-examine their role in IT delivery. Technical professionals must understand the responsibilities and requirements of these changing roles, and develop the necessary skill sets for long-term success.
- What Does DevOps Mean to the I&O Professional?
- How Will I&O Professionals Participate in DevOps?
- What Technical and Nontechnical Skills Areas Are Vital to I&O Professionals Preparing for DevOps?
- Cloud Operations
- Platform Operations
- Service Delivery
- Agile Practices
- What New Roles Are Emerging for I&O Professionals in the World of Cloud and DevOps?
- The Cloud Architect
- The Cloud Engineer
- The Automation Architect
- The Platform Engineer
- The Agile Versatilist
- What Approaches Can I&O Professionals Take to Improve in the Key Areas of DevOps Practices and Tools?
- Skills Gaps and Development Plans
- What Toolsets Should I&O Professionals Focus on as They Upgrade Their Skills?
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.