This Hype Cycle can assist CSPs in both selecting appropriate technology portfolios for their infrastructure and matching service strategies that support ubiquitous broadband, digital services and the Internet of Things.
- What You Need to Know
- Why CSPs Need to Transform the Future of Network Capabilities
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Named Data Networking
- Drone Base Station
- Intercarrier Service Automation
- Advanced Underserved Area Comms
- Open-Source Base Station
- Uplink-Downlink Decoupling
- Software-Defined Networking (SDN)
- At the Peak
- Open-Source Infrastructure
- Private LTE
- Edge Computing for CSPs
- Virtual CPE
- Open Compute Project Networking
- LTE for Mission-Critical and Public Safety Networks
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Network as a Service (NaaS)
- Software-Defined Wide-Area Network (SD-WAN)
- Massive MIMO
- LTE-A Pro
- Spectrum Sharing
- White-Box Switching
- Mobile Self-Organizing Networks
- Content Filtering as a Service
- Cloud RAN
- Climbing the Slope
- Small Cells
- LTE Roaming (IPX)
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.