CIOs recognize that culture is both a barrier and an enabler of strategic business change. But they often fail to address the problem directly by defining a roadmap for their culture change journey and then executing assessments and change activities.
- Step 1: Clarify Strategic Objectives for Your Culture Change Journey
- Step 2: Narrow the Focus of Your Culture Change Journey
- Narrow the Focus From Buzzword to Behavior
- Narrow the Focus From Completion to Iterations
- Narrow the Focus From Everywhere to Somewhere
- Step 3: Start Your Culture Change Journey Communications Plan
- Step 4: Conduct Targeted Culture Assessments
- Step 5: Identify Bright Spots, and Share Stories
- Step 6: Confirm Gaps and Intermediate Cues, Behaviors and Rewards
- Step 7: Identify and Execute Key Change Leadership Activities
- Step 8: Expand Culture Change Capability
- Step 9: Continue to Assess Progress on the Culture Change Journey
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.