Oil and gas companies face a decade or more of unpredictable, disruptive market conditions. This research note updates Gartner’s 2015 oil and gas scenario research, addressing new market factors to help CIOs track important business strategy changes and update their I&T operating model.
- Digital Technology Disruption
- Disrupting Strategies
- Optimizing Digital Strategies
- Energy Technology Disruption
- Interaction Between Disruptive Forces
- The Focal Issue
- Scenario A: Segment Masters Consolidate Their Strengths
- Scenario B: Segment Surfers Create Agility to Follow Market Trends
- Scenario C: Domain Reformers Stake Their Territory
- Scenario D: Industry Reformers Alter Markets
- Scenario E: Reactive Incumbents Follow the Trends
- How to Use the Scenarios
- Next Steps
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.