MDM on PCs has been possible for several years, but Microsoft has made important changes to Windows 10 that signal the time to start is now. Technical professionals should take a step back and use this research to answer a pivotal question: Are we ready for modern management?
- What Does It Take to Move to Modern Management?
- What Options Exist for Windows 10 Management Right Now?
- Why Did Microsoft Introduce Modern Management for Windows 10?
- Should I Continue to Use My Existing Imaging Processes, and Are Others Doing So?
- Dynamic Provisioning Moves Client Management Away From Imaging
- Step-by-Step Preparation Advice
- Prerequisite Advice
- Use Application Portfolio Tools to Spot Problematic Configuration or Applications
- Adapt EUC Operations to Windows 10 Cadence
- Rationalize and Map GPOs to Windows 10 MDM or Custom UEM Solutions
- Segment PCs Into CMT, CMT+, MDM+ or Modern Use Cases
- Validate OEM(s) Services and Images
- Move to MDM-Compatible Encryption, Driver Updates, Endpoint Protection and Application Patching
- Rationalize, Repackage or Replace Win32 Application Portfolio
- MDM Options on Windows 10
- Windows Information Protection
- Do I Have to Move to UEM When I Move to Modern Management?
- Historical Context
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.