The physical security IoT endpoint electronics and communications market will be worth $100 billion in 2028, growing by $66 billion from 2018. The largest revenue opportunities will be in indoor surveillance and building intruder detection devices, with a 10-year CAGR of 12% and 13%, respectively.
- Forecast Assumptions
- Market Impacts
- Notable Changes
Forecast Data Summary
Forecast Model Summary
Influencing Factors and Assumptions
- Influencing Factor: Safety and Security Concerns Are Priorities for Businesses
- Forecast Assumption: In the U.S., there will be one indoor surveillance camera per five employees by 2028, up from one per eight in 2018, while China’s “surveillance state” initiative will increase cameras to one per employee.
- Forecast Assumption: Demand for increased security will mean security systems will have 31 IoT devices installed per control panel worldwide by 2028, up from 11 in 2018.
- Influencing Factor: LPWA Technologies Will Drive Connected In-Building Devices
- Forecast Assumption: Inexpensive LPWA connections will increase smoke/CO/heat detector functionality; consequently, 44% of endpoints will ship with an LPWA interface globally in 2028, up from 8% in 2018.
- Forecast Assumption: In full U.S. deployments of commercial asset tracking, LPWA technologies will increase active tags from one per 15 commercial employees in 2018 to one per nine by 2028 to increase efficiency.
- Influencing Factor: Regulations Will Ensure Device Demand
- Forecast Assumption: Smoke/CO/heat detectors will be installed every 46 m
in U.S. buildings through 2028 to comply with regulations.
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.