The complexity of work and the need to manage everyday demands impedes CIOs and IT leaders from spending time on managing their own careers. This research provides actionable methods for how to build a career that is both professionally and personally fulfilling.
- Reflect Back on Your Experiences to Gain Insight Into Your Career Purpose
- Put Your Career in the Context of a Series of Jobs With Many Potential Paths
- Reflect Back by Answering These Three Questions
- Define a Career “Purpose” That Serves as Your North Star
- Project Forward by Investing the Time and Being Open to New Opportunities
- Project Forward by Answering These Three Questions
- Find Career Opportunities by Being Open to Them
- Invest the Time to Look Forward and Focus on Your Career
- Establish a Cadence That Enables You to Actively Manage and Own Your Career
- Track Your Career Journey
- Use Mentors Unabashedly
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.