Published: 02 April 2019
Analyst(s): CIO Research Team
Progressive infrastructure and operations functions adopt product management principles to support the enterprise’s speed and agility needs. I&O leaders can use this research to accelerate the function’s journey to support an IT product line model.
Understanding IT Product Lines
Challenges for I&O in an IT Product Line Model
Five Recommendations to Adapt I&O’s Role in the IT Product Line Model
1. Define Infrastructure Products According to Customer Needs
2. Establish Teams That Take End-to-End Accountability for Infrastructure Products
3. Define the Role of the Infrastructure Product Manager to Give Greater Autonomy to Run the Product
4. Create Engagement Mechanisms Between Infrastructure Products and IT Product Lines
5. Track Relevant Metrics to Measure the Performance of Infrastructure Products
Recommended by the Authors
About This Research
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.