Security and risk management leaders continue to experience challenges in trying to determine whether cloud service providers are adequately secure. Effective cloud security assessment processes require a very pragmatic and risk-oriented approach.
- Base the Level of Effort for CSP Assessment on the Estimated Risk Significance of Your Anticipated Use of the CSP
- Take Advantage of Formal and De Facto Cloud Security Standards
- Control Frameworks
- Third-Party Processes
- Don’t Waste Time Trying to Develop New Questions to Determine If a CSP Is Secure
- Formal On-Site Evaluation
- Security Rating Services
- Formal Third-Party Security Assessments
- Base the Rigor of Your CSP Assessment on the Significance of the Anticipated Utilization
- Tailor Your Assessments to the Size and Sophistication of the Individual CSP
- Tier 1 CSPs
- Tier 2 CSPs
- Tier 3 CSPs
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.