Self-service analytics must be embedded within the underlying data management architecture, independent of tool selection. This document provides data and analytics technical professionals with a reference architecture to implement a modular yet scalable multitool BI environment.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Step 1: Evaluate the Current BI Architecture
- Data Layer
- Access Layer
- BI and Reporting Layer
- Step 2: Select the Implementation Model
- The Centralized and Decentralized Implementation Models
- The Federated BI Implementation Model
- Step 3: Establish Guiding Principles
- Step 4: Design and Build the Prerequisites
- Prerequisite 1: Data Governance Framework
- Prerequisite 2: Centralized Data Repository (LDW)
- Prerequisite 3: Search, Discovery and Lineage
- Prerequisite 4: Self-Service Data Preparation
- Prerequisite 5: Real-Time Analytics Support
- Step 5: Design and Build the Federated BI Architecture
- Step 6: Select the Right BI Tools for Implementation
- BI Tool for Information Producers
- BI Tool for Information Consumers
- Can We Support More Than Two BI Tools?
- Analytics Development Life Cycle
Risks and Pitfalls
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.