Developing a strong business case is vital for the success of any human capital management technology investment. Application leaders responsible for HCM technology transformations should use this research as a guide for creating a compelling business case.
- Describe High-Level Goals and Link Investment to Wider IT and Business Goals
- Balance Technical Ambition With the High-Level Objectives of the Investment
- Assess Organizational Readiness
- Balance Quantitative ROI With Qualitative Added Value
- Estimate the Total Cost of the Investment and Position Against the ROI and Value-Add of the Project
- Determine a Baseline From Your Existing Technologies and Processes
- Review to What Extent Objectives Were Met, and Update Your Business Case Regularly
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.