Organizations focused on delivering consistent individualized experiences must consolidate their existing personalization technologies with a personalization engine. Application technical professionals should use this research to implement a PE and deliver tailored experiences that customers expect.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Plan Your Personalization Consolidation
- Implement PE Tags and SDKs
- Use Case 1: User Experience
- Understand Real-Time Personalization
- Deploy a Real-Time Personalized Experience
- Expand on This Workflow
- Use Case 2: Commerce
- Move Recommendations From a Commerce Platform to a Centralized PE
- Use Case 3: Marketing
- Create a Personalized Email Campaign
- Integrate Your PE With Your ESP
- Test and Validate Personalized Emails
- Prepare for ML-Optimized Campaigns
Risks and Pitfalls
- Lack of Coordination Between Teams
- Misunderstanding Data Privacy Regulations
- Relying Too Much on Personalization for Improving CX
- Misunderstanding ML Algorithm Capabilities
- Related Guidance
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.