The cloud platform services market is both fast-growing and, still, confusing. This research introduces application leaders to the key trends that will influence their technology, budget and organizational decisions for the next 12 months and beyond.
The Key Trends in PaaS and Platform Architecture, 2019
- Key Findings
- The Key Trends in Cloud Platform Innovation
- Trend: The Business of Cloud Platform Services Is on the Rise
- There Are Now 22 Competitive Specialized Market Segments in PaaS
- From 2018 Through 2022 the PaaS Market Will Double in Size
- Trend: Customer Cloud Initiatives Evolve From Doubt to Strategic Adoption
- Not Just Services — The Return of Software
- Not Just PaaS — Cloud Platform Continuum Engages All
- Not Just the Megavendors — Customers Mix and Match the Best-Fit PaaS Offerings
- Trend: Platform Technology Moves From Adopting Old Architecture to Cloud-Native Design
- Cloud-Native Thinking Shifts Platform Priorities From Static Stability to Dynamic Agility
- IoT Drives a New Wave of Innovation
- Trend: Technology Practices Shift From Central IT to a Business-IT Alliance
- Low-Code Tools Help Democratize Access to IT Innovation
- The Other Platform Continuum — From IT Professionals to Business Innovators
- Event Design Provides a Shared Vocabulary for Business-IT Alliance
- Trend: Application Thinking Advances From Custom Coding to Buying and Composing
- API-Centric SaaS Is a Forebear of API-Centric Applications
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.