At the dawn of the 5G era when specifications are still immature, semiconductor manufacturers should not be overly optimistic in investing in the 5G business.
- The 5G Market Growth Opportunities Will Go Beyond Processors to Radio Frequency (RF) Chips, New Materials, New User Equipment and Infrastructure
- Market Structure Trend
- Semiconductor Vendors Are Increasingly Optimistic About the Chip Demand for 5G-Capable Smartphones Using Current 5G Specs
- User Trend
- Communications Service Providers (CSPs) Have Trouble Identifying the Use Cases in 5G Enterprise Business That Are Critical to the Future of 5G
- Regional Trend
- Across the Globe, Semiconductor Manufacturers Take Different Approaches for Their 5G Evolution Based on Their Strengths and Weaknesses
- Technology Trend
- 5G Technical Specs Will Progressively Phase in During the Coming Years and Won’t Become Stabilized Anytime Soon
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.