Networking constraints are strict for Microsoft Teams. Traditional networking approaches are often insufficient to meet the demands of Teams’ real-time voice and video services. Application technical professionals must evaluate more than connectivity against performance-sensitive best practices.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Step 1: Identify Use Cases
- Step 2: Blueprint Traffic Flows
- Teams’ Traffic Types and Flows
- Conferencing via Teams Clients and Importance of First Join User
- Conferencing via Audio Conferencing and Cloud Video Interop Services
- Phone System With Microsoft Calling Plans and Third-Party Voice Services
- Step 3: Estimate Bandwidth Requirements
- Step 4: Identify Bandwidth Gaps
- Step 5: Validate Network Performance
- Step 6: Optimize Internet Egress and DNS
- Step 7: Bypass Proxy Servers and Packet Inspection
- Step 8: Mark Traffic for Quality of Service
- Step 9: Use Split-Tunnel VPN for Remote Workers
- Upgrade and Augment Internal Wireless Network
- Monitor Performance With a SaaS Monitoring Tool
- Evaluate Benefits of SD-WAN Technologies to Improve Performance Reliability
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.