Exchange Online implementations are mainstream, yet retain significant complexities ranging from migrations, to changes to security and compliance strategies, to managing the flow of service updates. Application technical professionals must be aware of gotchas to avoid and changes to Office 365.
The Gartner Approach
- What’s New in This Framework Update
The Guidance Framework
- Prework Step 1: Map the Current State of Email
- Prework Step 2: Analyze the Business Case for Exchange Online
- Migration Strategy
- Migration Methodologies
- Exchange Online Limits
- Exchange Online Migration Throttling
- Modern Authentication
- Distribution Lists
- Office 365 Groups
- Implementing Hybrid With Exchange Online
- What Does Not Work With a Hybrid Implementation
- Why to Not Decommission Exchange Server With Hybrid
- Scenarios When It’s OK to Decommission Exchange Server
- Additional Hybrid Exchange and Multicloud Email Routing Options
- Data Migration
- Public Folders
- Multi-Geo Support
- Tenant-to-Tenant Mailbox Migration
- Exchange Online’s Architecture
- Scenarios When Organizations Ask About Backups
- Requirements to Assess for Third-Party Backup Solutions
- Retention Tags
- In-Place and Litigation Holds
- Basic Malware Protection
- Advanced Security Services
- Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
- SMTP Limits
- Outlook Client Plug-Ins
- Microsoft Teams
- Exchange Online Unified Messaging
- Exchange Admin Center (EAC)
- Office 365 Admin Center
- Office 365 Security and Compliance Center
- Outlook Client
- Outlook on the Web
- Outlook for Mac for Office 365
- Email Clients to Avoid With Exchange Online
- Mobile Clients
- Mobile Management
- Exit Strategy
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.